Wednesday 17 March 2010

Shamrocks, Snakes and a Saint.

Top of the Morning to you .
and it is morning. Lined up at 10:30 am outside O'Neils pub - Adam took the picture on his way to work! the day is going to get crazy, and the night wild.

I thought that Chaplin might enjoy seeing the Victoria Gallery & Museum. I decided to walk through an area that we haven't been to yet - just past Duke Street up in the area around Everyman Theater.

this little walk explained a few nagging questions I've had since day one. Honesty.
I will explain my questions based on where I am living - but first you have to understand where I am living to understand why I have had these questions.
My building is in the Liverpool One shopping district, in the downtown core.


That is our building on the right! - with retail on the bottom and we are 8 floors up from the retail.

Liverpool One has it's own webpage, dedicated to the dedicated shoppers. It's closed off to traffic and attracts the most fashion forward girls in the world... yes really. That statment is not made up by me, these girls are setting the trends that are coming out in London and Milan. They are called Glam Girls, some look like scene girls (it girls) and they have their own glossy magazine called Liverpool Fashion.
I open my front door... and am in the middle of it. Nothing, not even snow stops these girls from wearing 5" platform spike shoes, tights, shirts for skirts, fuzzy jackets, big back-combed hair with orange fake tans and loads of makeup. This is not dressing up, this is daily wear.
And this is what I see every Friday and Saturday... no joke.
Hair stylist Andrea Daly of Barbara Daly Hair and Beauty in Lime Street explained to the Liverpool Echo: "It's a status thing. It announces the fact you're going out that night and intend to have the biggest, most gorgeous hair possible." ROLLER GIRLS ARE GLAM GIRLS.

And i am always wondering:
Where do these girls come from? I don't see them coming off the buses or trains, but there are hundreds of them.
How come there are so many that all look the same: a micro environment effect?

more about our area:
Liverpool One is right on the tip of the entertainment district. There are streets dedicated to just nightlife. Rows of bars, that pump out music and booze until 5:00am, Friday and Saturday I can hear the base and distant rumble of what i know is thousands and thousands of people dancing.
Why can't I go to starbucks without there being a line up 20 people deep.
Why can't i move my shopping cart around Tescos. Why is Liverpool One busy all day everyday?

And now back to our day out:
So there we were on our way to the Gallery and we noticed this one side street that seemed pretty busy with people. We decided to check it out, and it lead into the John Moore University Grounds... Here is Chaplin in the middle court raking some leaves with a rake he found.
More than 24,000 students go here...
And then we walked our way out of this lively area and right into Liverpool Community College, and Liverpool Hope University and then across to Liverpool University where Victoria Gallery is located. WELL... doesn't this just explain everything!!! This area is packed full of students! How did i not notice that the girls shopping were university age. I felt like i finally understood why this area has such a live pulse to it.
We actually didn't go inside the Victoria Gallery because the streets were getting fuller by the minute of Lepricons, Shamrock painted faces overly happy folk.... The pubs were spilling out into the streets. Chaplin and I didn't need to be caught up in this mix. So I told Chap we would come back to the Gallery another day so let's go to Tesco's and get a treat.

We walked down Mount Pleasant Street and some of the business on this street made me chuckle... A school named something like "Pleasant Catholic Reform School"... i bet there are a few who beg to differ! What about this store's name?

We past by O'Neils pub and took another picture.
This is at 2:30pm... And thanks to St Patrick there are no snakes in Ireland, so drink your green stout - Happy St Patrick's Day!

a little dance to make you happy.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Chap... those moves are too good for words. I think you got them from your Mother.

    ReplyDelete